The Worthington Education Association recently marked the fiftieth anniversary of its founding, and it is truly remarkable to stop and consider all that we have accomplished over those five decades by working together on behalf of our public schools, our profession, and the students we serve. Through your active membership today, you will likewise be able to contribute to the future success of our colleagues who are yet to come. Your membership is both a vital investment in your own professional career and a way to help ensure the success of your colleagues.
There are many specific benefits of Association membership, including the following:
- Economic Benefits – As you well know, the level of salary and benefits we earn as employees are a direct result of bargaining by the Association. You may not be as aware that there are dozens of other financial benefits specifically for members, including DUES-TAB life insurance, attractive savings and investment programs from NEA, discounts for personal legal services, special opportunities for professional development and university credit, and even cellular phone service discounts.
- Peace of Mind – In today’s litigious environment, teachers are too often the target of costly lawsuits and accusations. Your Association dues pay for an extensive legal services plan and a $1 million liability insurance policy that provides protection for your career in much the same way your homeowner’s policy protects your second largest asset. This is on top of the work we do every day to ensure the enforcement of our contract.
- Professional Advocacy – Every day, political bodies from the U.S. Congress to the Ohio Legislature to the Worthington Board of Education make decisions that affect our professional lives in the classroom and beyond. If we didn’t have a unified organization, how would we advance our interests in keeping a strong retirement system, protecting bargaining rights, and providing adequate educational funding?
- A Collective Voice – Perhaps the greatest benefit of our organization is the strength of our numbers. The 2.7 million members of the NEA, the 128,000 members of the OEA, the 25,000 members of the Central OEA/NEA, and the 800 members of the WEA have accomplished much by working together.
- Member-Only Benefits - The Ohio Education Association (OEA) & The National Education Association (NEA)
NEA MEMBER BENEFITS & SERVICES INCLUDE:
Shopping & Discounts
OEA/NEA Attorney Referral Program: During any membership year (from September 1 to August 31), eligible members, spouses, and dependent children are entitled to two, free 30-minute consultation sessions with any of the Association-approved attorneys under the Attorney Referral Program. During the two free sessions, you may discuss any legal matter except income tax preparation. The free consultation allows you to discuss your problems with an attorney to determine whether you need additional legal services. The attorney is not expected to draft or review documents during a consultation. If you ask the attorney to provide additional services, you will be billed at a discounted Program rate.
In addition to free consultations, members may have specific legal work performed in five “core” areas at a 30% reduction of participating attorneys’ normal fees. The five core areas include real estate, wills and estates, domestic relations, consumer protection, and traffic violations. A few legal services, such as help with business dealings, bankruptcy, or tax matters, do not qualify for the discounted rate. The discounted rate also does not apply to the defense of criminal violations, other than the traffic violations covered by the Program.
Be an advocate for yourself and your fellow professionals by becoming a member of the WEA and taking an active role in our Association.
Together, we can accomplish more!